Gas can + nearby clothes dryer = $50K garage fire
A word to the Escondido fire wise: Don’t leave portable gas cans near ignition sources. That was the case and the scene Thursday when firefighters had to deal with a garage fire caused by a gas can left near a clothes dryer.
Escondido firefighters around 9:15 a.m. Thursday responded to a reported structure fire in the 600 block of W. 11th Ave, according to battalion chief John Tenger. Upon arrival, fire crews found a detached garage with heavy smoke and fire coming from it.
The fire was contained to the garage within 20 minutes. Losses were estimated at $50,000. No injuries were reported.
Escondido Fire hosts 3-day multi-agency training event
The smoke definitely has cleared from the vacant Palomar/Pomerado Healthcare building located at 343 E Second Avenue by now.
Escondido Fire hosted a multi-agency training event there on Monday, Oct. 26 through Wednesday, Oct. 28. Sessions took place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day.
Around 10 fire engines and truck companies along with chief officers will participated in training exercises focusing on entrapped firefighter rescue tactics and command/control procedures when firefighters are injured or trapped during a fire.
This training provided a realistic experience using a vacant building, theatrical smoke and fire equipment, according to battalion chief Mike Bertrand who thanked Palomar/Pomerado Healthcare for its “commitment to the safety of our community and first responders by offering the use of their facility.”
Participating agencies included firefighters from Escondido, San Marcos, Carlsbad, Vista, Oceanside, Valley Center, Camp Pendleton, Deer Springs, Pala, Rincon, North County, San Pasqual and Cal Fire.
Known as Rapid Intervention Crew (RIC), departments worked in concert to coordinate logistics, tactics, communications and equipment to rescue a trapped firefighter.
“We practice our radio traffic, radio discipline then our tactics to get them out and command and control that whole incident,” Bertrand said to a reporter. “By practicing it, we make it (the rescue) quicker. There are points of control so we can keep track of our people. It’s working on terminology and radio discipline.”
The 15,000-square-foot former hospital structure was filled with smoke and then some. Firefighters used thermal imaging devices during the smoke drills emphasizing firefighting 101 skills. Each firefighter had to make it through the smoke with 30 minutes of oxygen in tanks.